Turmeric is by far one of the most popular and celebrated health foods of the decade – tumeric has been around as a go-to natural remedy for many years so far. In fact, turmeric has a 4000 thousand-year-old history as alternative medicine for many diseases and health conditions.
this yellow spice is a powerful health tool, and you enjoy it in many forms, such as a flavorful curry blend, skin-balancing paste or in a variety of turmeric drinks.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric contains more than 100 health-promoting compounds, including curcumin. This compound has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antimicrobial, choleretic, and carminative effects.
“Turmeric is used as an herbal medicine for rheumatoid arthritis, chronic anterior uveitis, conjunctivitis, skin cancer, smallpox, chicken pox, wound healing, urinary tract infections, and liver ailments. It is also used for digestive disorders; to reduce flatus, jaundice, menstrual difficulties, and colic; for abdominal pain and distension; and for dyspeptic conditions including loss of appetite, postprandial feelings of fullness, and liver and gallbladder complaints, ” writes Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects.
Additionally, turmeric fights degenerative disease such as Alzheimer’s, inflammatory conditions such as arthritis, and mental health conditions such as depression.
Other benefits include:
- Reverses cognitive decline
- Fights inflammation naturally better than NSAIDs
- Lowers risk of heart disease
- Fights free radical damage
- Boosts hormone function
- Fights Huntington’s disease and Parkinson’s disease
- Prevents cancer
14 Turmeric Drinks that Promote Health and Wellness
You can mix up a variety of drinks and drink up this healing spice!
1. Golden Turmeric Milk
This golden milk recipe is the perfect morning treat to set your body on the right track.
- 2 cups of milk, preferably coconut or homemade nut milk
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon dried turmeric powder
- A pinch of black pepper
- Honey, to taste
- Heat the milk over medium heat until it begins to steam.
- Add spices.
- Simmer for a few minutes and cool for 10 minutes.
- Drink hot.
2. Golden Turmeric Milk
If you’re a fan of smoothies, you’ll love this recipe!
- 1 cup frozen mango
- 1 tablespoon of coconut milk
- ½ banana
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- Put all the ingredients in a high-power blender and blend until smooth.
- Add water or more coconut milk if necessary to improve texture.
- Drink immediately.
3. Turmeric Tea
Flavorful and complex, this tea is a healthy way to warm up on a cold day.
- 1-2 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger root
- 1-2 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- A pinch of nutmeg powder
- A pinch of clove powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A pinch of black pepper
- Coconut milk (optional)
- Raw honey (optional)
- Boil water in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to medium heat and add all the spices.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, strain, and serve hot.
- Add honey and milk to taste.
4. Turmeric Water with Black Pepper
If you’re short on time, this recipe is a great quick fix.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil (optional)
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass of water and drink immediately!
5. Turmeric Latte
Replace your calorie-laden coffee latte with this healthy alternative.
- 1 cup of almond or coconut milk, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated turmeric root
- 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger root
- Raw honey
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add all the ingredient but the honey into the pan.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Strain, add honey and serve.
6. Turmeric Lemon Tea
This tea is sure to pack a punch of energy!
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Honey to taste
- Combine lemon juice, turmeric, ginger and cayenne in a mug, top with boiling water and sweeten to taste with honey.
7. Turmeric Tonic
Tasty and full of electrolytes, this tonic is perfect for hydration after a hot day.
- 3 cups coconut water
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger slices
- 1 lime, cut into quarters and squeezed
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Combine ingredients in a glass jar with a lid, shake well, and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve at room temperature.
8. Turmeric Kombucha
Kombucha packs a probiotic punch, so why not make it even more nutritious with turmeric?
- 1 glass jar with tight lids to hold 1 gallon of liquid
- 1 gallon of unflavored home brewed kombucha
- 1/2 green apple, cut into matchsticks
- 2 tsp fresh grated turmeric (or 1 teaspoon ground dried turmeric)
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground dried ginger)
- Pour the fresh kombucha (but not the scoby) into the jar, leaving a few inches of headspace at the top.
- Place the spices and the apple matchstick into the jar.
- Leave the jar in a dark corner at room temperature for 3-5 days. Remove the lid for a few seconds every day to relieve the build-up of fermentation gas.
- When you like the taste of your brew, remove the apple pieces and place the jar in the refrigerator.
- Consume within 2-3 weeks.
Spicy, smooth, and comforting, this tea will be your new favorite drink for many occasions!
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 6 tbsp coconut sugar
- 4 black tea bags
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground coriander
- Small pinch of black pepper
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 tsp raw coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup tea concentrate
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- To make the tea concentrate, combine all ingredients in the first list except for tea bags and vanilla in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the tea bags and vanilla.
- Steep for at least 10 minutes.
- Pour through a tea strainer and store in a sealable container. It will last about 7 days refrigerated.
- To make 1 latte, whisk together the coconut milk, coconut sugar and turmeric in a small saucepan.
- Warm up over medium heat just until it just begins to boil.
- Remove from heat. Use a milk frother or immersion blender if desired to create milk foam.
- Combine the warm milk mixture with 1/4 cup of the tea concentrate in a glass.
- Stir well and garnish with cinnamon and adjust sweetness as necessary.
10. Turmeric Coffee
Spice up your coffee with some turmeric and cinnamon.
- 8 ounces strong coffee (brew methods vary the intensity of the coffee)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon grass-fed unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- raw honey, to taste (optional)
- Brew the coffee with the cinnamon and turmeric.
- Let it cool slightly.
- Pour the coffee into a blender along with butter, coconut oil, and raw honey. Process until smooth.
- Pour into a mug and serve.
11. Superfood Hot Chocolate
You won’t feel guilty indulging in this hot chocolate!
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup filtered water
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 stick of cinnamon or ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 Tbsp honey
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, warm the coconut milk and water, as well as the turmeric, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, and sea salt.
- Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add raw cacao and vanilla extract.
- Stir to combine.
- Strain and serve with honey.
12. Antiinflammatory Sparking Turmeric Juice
Put down the soda and enjoy this instead!
- 1/4 of a large pineapple, making sure to include all or part of the core
- 2-3 large carrots
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- sparkling mineral water
- Juice carrots and pineapple until you get 1 ½ cups of juice.
- Pour juice into a glass until it’s half full. Add turmeric and stir.
- Top off with sparkling water and enjoy.
13. Paleo Sports Drink
This recipe is so much better than Gatorade.
- 2-inch piece of turmeric peeled and cut into 5 or 6 chunks
- 2-inch piece of ginger peeled and cut into 5 or 6 chunks
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (2-4 limes)
- 3 tbsp local raw honey
- 4 cups + 2 cups of Filtered water
- Add ginger, turmeric, and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add honey. Stir and cool.
- Once cool, remove ginger and turmeric and pour the mixture into a large jar with a lid.
- Add 2 cups of water and lemon juice.
- Stir and drink immediately. Store the remainder in the refrigerator.
14. Spiced Matcha Latte
Matcha is a superfood on its own but with a bit of turmeric, it’s a nutritional powerhouse.
- 3 oz water, boiled
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- 8 oz non-dairy milk, warmed
- honey, to taste
- Place the milk in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
- In the meantime, boil water and pour into a small glass bowl.
- Add matcha, cinnamon, turmeric, and ginger and whisk to combine.
- Pour the warm milk into a mug and add the matcha mixture. Stir and add honey.
- Enjoy warm.